Justia Lawyer Rating for Joseph W. Fuson
Top 40 Under 40
Super Lawyers
The National Trial Lawyers
Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education & Specialization
NORML Lifetime Member
AVVO Raiting
Nashville Scene - Best DUI Attorney
Nashville Scene - Best Attorney


Divorce Can Be Difficult

It is difficult to think or know that your marriage is “over” and it is very taxing when you feel you have tried everything and you have no other options. This is when you need to take the time to sit down with Mark and Joseph. They will take the time with you and explain step by step what your options are and how we can best move forward with resolving your concerns.

Uncontested Divorce

Often times the parties can agree on the terms of the divorce and child custody issues and wish to have an uncontested divorce. This is called “Irreconcilable Differences” and is Tennessee’s version of a no-fault divorce. This is the easiest and cheapest way to get divorced in Tennessee. Freeman and Fuson charge flat fees for uncontested divorces and have the knowledge and experience to get it done in a timely fashion.

In uncontested divorces, Mark and Joseph will sit down with the client and help them understand all the issues that need to be resolved before entering the Marital Dissolution Agreement and/or Permanent Parenting Plan. If necessary, Mark and Joseph will also sit down with both the client and their spouse to consult with both parties to reach an amicable and complete settlement.

Grounds for Divorce

If the parties are unable to agree on the terms of the divorce, then one party must establish grounds for the divorce.

Tenn. Code Ann. 36-4-101 -
Grounds for divorce from bonds of matrimony

  1. Either party, at the time of the contract, was and still is naturally impotent and incapable of procreation;

  2. Either party has knowingly entered into a second marriage, in violation of a previous marriage, still subsisting;

  3. Either party has committed adultery;

  4. Willful or malicious desertion or absence of either party, without a reasonable cause, for one (1) whole year;

  5. Being convicted of any crime that, by the laws of the state, renders the party infamous;

  6. Being convicted of a crime that, by the laws of the state, is declared to be a felony, and sentenced to confinement in the penitentiary;

  7. Either party has attempted the life of the other, by poison or any other means showing malice;

  8. Refusal, on the part of a spouse, to remove with that person’s spouse to this state, without a reasonable cause, and being willfully absent from the spouse residing in Tennessee for two (2) years;

  9. The woman was pregnant at the time of the marriage, by another person, without the knowledge of the husband;

  10. Habitual drunkenness or abuse of narcotic drugs of either party, when the spouse has contracted either such habit after marriage;

  11. The husband or wife is guilty of such cruel and inhuman treatment or conduct towards the spouse as renders cohabitation unsafe and improper, which may also be referred to in pleadings as inappropriate marital conduct;

  12. The husband or wife has offered such indignities to the spouse’s person as to render the spouse’s position intolerable, and thereby forced the spouse to withdraw;

  13. The husband or wife has abandoned the spouse or turned the spouse out of doors for no just cause, and has refused or neglected to provide for the spouse while having the ability to so provide;

  14. Irreconcilable differences between the parties; and

  15. For a continuous period of two (2) or more years that commenced prior to or after April 18, 1985, both parties have lived in separate residences, have not cohabited as man and wife during such period, and there are no minor children of the parties.
  1. A complaint or petition for divorce on any ground for divorce listed in this section must have been on file for sixty (60) days before being heard if the parties have no unmarried child under eighteen (18) years of age, and must have been on file at least ninety (90) days before being heard if the parties have an unmarried child under eighteen (18) years of age. The sixty-day or ninety-day period shall commence on the date the complaint or petition is filed.

* Inappropriate Marital Conduct consists of wrong doings such as abuse, whether physical or emotional, illegal drug use, anger issues, controlling behavior, porn addiction, and/or any other wrong doings that may be deemed as cruel and inappropriate for a spouse.

Client Reviews
Relief! Mark Freeman is the best lawyer I have ever had. He took care of my Criminal Case in one day. Answered all phone calls and returned them all as well. He didn't hesitate to answer any of my questions. I am very thankful he had my case dropped! Not many lawyers can do that. I highly recommend him. He treats you as more so family than a client. If I ever have another case Mark Freeman will be my lawyer. Peter P.
Joey: Just wanted you to know how appreciative I am to be represented by such an outstanding attorney. You did an awesome job. Thank you for your help and support throughout. I have NEVER gotten so much for my money with any other attorney before. I'm looking forward to referring you as much as possible in the future. Thanks again buddy. Charles G.
I reached out to the firm for assistance in a landlord/tenant matter. Freeman & Fuson was quick to call me back, gathered all the details on a brief phone call and was ready to act as early as the next morning. They saved me time/money and frustration. His follow through until the matter was resolved was excellent. Michael S.
Mr Fuson was my attorney for multiple cases and what I can say I most appreciated was how simple he made it to communicate. This left me never ill at ease with where things stood. He is knowledgeable and certainly experienced in Williamson County. There really is nothing more I can say except hire him!! Jennifer
Mark Freeman has been a up front Atttorney. He has handled my case with professional knowledge and returned my calls in a timely matter and got the my case dropped. If you need any professional advise and a good attorney I highly recommend you calling Mark Freeman. Excellent Job. Anonymous